Second group of scenarios from the list seen on the board at NORAD during the last few minutes of the movie Wargames.
20. NATO …? This is one of the titles on the list that was obscured.
21. Argentina Escalation– In 1982 Argentina invaded the Falklands, prompting a powerful British response. Another attempt to retake the islands bringing about an escalation was not out of the question back in the 80s. In recent years the idea of another Argentinian invasion attempt in the future has gained some momentum.
22. Iceland Maximum– Control of the North Atlantic would have been essential to both sides in a NATO-Warsaw Pact war. Iceland was the gate to the North Atlantic. The Soviets would have had to neutralize the NATO bases there in order to undertake a successful Atlantic campaign
23. Arabian Theatre-wide- All hell breaks loose on the Arabian Peninsula and Persian Gulf. Escalation of the Iran-Iraq War or perhaps a Soviet invasion of Iran
24. U.S. Subversion– Political turmoil and internal conflict inside of the United States. Homegrown or the result of foreign meddling?
25. Australian Maneuver– This one could either be Soviet action against Australia or, less likely, Australian led action in the region
26. Iranian Diversion-Another open-ended title. It could signify a Soviet invasion of Iran to draw off US/NATO attention from Europe
27. …? limited- Another obscured title. Ugh!
28. Sudan surprise– Challenges to the Sudanese Socialist Union could have led to an Afghanistan-like invasion by the Soviet Union
29. NATO territorial– Incursion of NATO territory by the Warsaw Pact
30. Zaire Alliance– Mobutu aligns Zaire closely with the Soviet Union
31. Iceland Incident– Soviet assault against Iceland or an inadvertent incident at sea between the US and Soviet navies off of Iceland.
32. English Escalation– Oh those whacky Brits
33. Zaire Sudden- Zaire falls into chaos. The Soviets intervene
34. Egypt Paramilitary– This one stumps me. Overthrow of Egyptian government by paramilitary forces perhaps.
35. Middle East Heavy– Conflict in the Middle East. Lebanon, Arab-Israeli, Iran-Iraq….take your pick
36. Mexican Takeover– The red tide that threatened Central America in the 1980s comes north. Mexico falls to Nicaragua and Cuba
37. Chad Alert- Chad was a hotspot in the 80s. Libya became embroiled in the Chad civil war. France supported Chad.
38. Saudi Maneuver– A Soviet move against the Saudi oilfields
39. African Territorial– One of the myriad of African conflicts escalates and brings in the superpowers.